Linda Lotspaih

Government Pension Offset

Dear Sir,

This is my problem.  I worked 23 years in social security.  I was on city council for 16 years ($3000.00 per year) but got full credit towards my PERS paid by the city.  The last 10 years I am working for a police dept. paying into PERS.  I am 66 years old.  If I work another two years I will have 23 years in PERS. (Public Employment Retirement System).  My husband passed away 2 years ago, so to survive I chose to receive his social security because it was more then mine.  He paid more than 30 years into social security.  We never made a lot of money but worked hard.  Now that I am alone, I need both incomes to survive.  I owe on my house etc.  If I retire in two years I would receive around $1800.00 from PERS.  So if they take 2/3rds of my SS I cannot live in my house, own a car, nothing.  I need both very much.  The bible says to take care of the widowers but I will be homeless in what should be the end of my life.  Please help me, what can I do.  Does this fit my situation as I have paid into social security.

Thank you so much, I have cried many nights over this and no one understands.

Linda Lotspaih

Hi Linda, 

I may not have the answers you are looking for, but I'd like to get some more information before I answer. 

1) Can you list the "ballpark" amount of your SS benefit from your work? 

2) Can you list the amount of survivors benefits if you filed today? 

3) Did you pay Social Security taxes on your wages earned while on the city council or the police department?

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:18 AM, Linda Lotspaih said:

Please help me, thanks

1) I know that SS gave me 23 years of credit.  I believe they said $1082.00.

2) I am receiving $1761.00 from my husbands SS.  When he passed away I needed the money to keep my house. He paid in over 30 years.  He was receiving SS disability.

3) No, I only made $3000 a year on council but they paid my PERS so I got a full years credit.  I served 16 years and decided not to run again as I got a job with the police dept to help with my pension, not knowing it would hurt.  I only have 20 years in and I am 66.  I will continue to work for now. 

Thank you so much for your help.

1) I know that SS gave me 23 years of credit.  I believe they said $1082.00.

2) I am receiving $1761.00 from my husbands SS.  When he passed away I needed the money to keep my house. He paid in over 30 years.  He was receiving SS disability.

3) No, I only made $3000 a year on council but they paid my PERS so I got a full years credit.  I served 16 years and decided not to run again as I got a job with the police dept to help with my pension, not knowing it would hurt.  I only have 20 years in and I am 66.  I will continue to work for now. 

Thank you so much for your help.

If you did not pay SS taxes during the time you were accumulating the pension benefits, the Government Pension Offset will affect you. This will be a reduction equal to 2/3 of your PERS pension. This means that the SSA will deduct around $1,188 from your survivors benefit once you begin receiving your PERS pension. This will leave you with an estimated benefit of $573 from SS. 

It's important to note that the GPO reduction will not begin until you start receiving the pension. 

It's possible that filing for your own benefit could result in a slightly higher benefit. Check with the SSA to find out.Just be sure to tell them that you will be subject to a "non-covered" pension. Otherwise, they'll just quote you the standard benefit. 

I really wish my news was better.