wayjay

Did SS automatically add spousal benefit to my wife's SS when I retired 3 years later?

My wife started drawing her SS at age 62 several years ago based on her earnings. Three years later when I became 65, I retired and started drawing my SS. Her benefit now is $784 and mine is $1,865.  Should we have filed for her spousal benefit when I became 65, or did her SS automatically increase to include her spousal benefit. Thanks for your web site and the work you do to help others.

Hi Wayjay, I'm not an expert, so until Devin answers I'll let you know what I've heard. I believe that in order to collect spousal benefits you would have had to have already started collecting SS. However, I think that may be more for today than when you retired. There were a couple of strategies back then that might have worked better for you. Here's a link to a guy that talks a little bit about this, and I'm sure Devin will have additional information. Start watching at 5:20 minutes into the video. 

Hi Mike, Thanks for the info. I fear that we may have missed a great opportunity to have increased my wife's payments. If so, I wonder if there is any chance of getting a retroactive amount. I look forward to the answer from Devin. (BTW, my grandson's name is Devin.) Thanks again for your help.

The SSA should have automatically increased her benefit when she became eligible for spousal benefits. However, there's no guarantee this happened unless you verify the numbers. From what I see the numbers sound about right, but it wouldn't hurt to make sure. It would only take a quick phone call to the SSA to find out what parts her benefit is made of. You can reach them at 800-772-1213. 

To Mikes point...there was probably some strategy that could have been used but that is water under the bridge now.