mikegw

Spousal benefits

Hi Devin! I'm trying to figure the best way to strategize the sequence of my and my wife's claiming of SS. She is eight years younger than I am, and has mostly been a stay at home mom. However, she has worked enough quarters to qualify for SS, though the amount is pretty low. I'm planning on working until my FRA (67), and about three years later my wife will turn 62. Can she begin collecting her minimum SS at 62, then when she turns 67 switch over to collecting spousal benefits at 50% of my current earnings? Thanks - Mike

I have the same type question .  My husband is 9 years old than me . We both have always worked . He is the higher earned.  He’s currently 68 and plans to work to age 70 then sign up for SS.  I would like to also stop working around 62 to 65. My Full retirement age is 66 10 months. (Health insurance is a concern before age 65). Anyway, since my husband will already be signed up at age 70 can I sign up under the spousal benefit and then at age 70 switch to my own .  It would be nice if we could both stop working close to the same time .  Also I have a question about survivor benefit. If he passes after age 70 and say I have already signed up for SS before my full retirement age . Will I receive 1/2 of his benefit or will they give me less since I signed up early on my own benefit or the spousal benefit.. Thanks for you help - this stuff can be so confusing.  Elizabeth from KY 

Hey Mike...if your wife files at 62 for her own benefits, she will be awarded all benefits for which she is eligible. This means that if you have already filed, she will be eligible for a spousal benefit. 

On 11/8/2018 at 9:15 PM, Elizabeth said:

I have the same type question .  My husband is 9 years old than me . We both have always worked . He is the higher earned.  He’s currently 68 and plans to work to age 70 then sign up for SS.  I would like to also stop working around 62 to 65. My Full retirement age is 66 10 months. (Health insurance is a concern before age 65). Anyway, since my husband will already be signed up at age 70 can I sign up under the spousal benefit and then at age 70 switch to my own .  It would be nice if we could both stop working close to the same time .  Also I have a question about survivor benefit. If he passes after age 70 and say I have already signed up for SS before my full retirement age . Will I receive 1/2 of his benefit or will they give me less since I signed up early on my own benefit or the spousal benefit.. Thanks for you help - this stuff can be so confusing.  Elizabeth from KY 

Once you sign up for benefits you'll receive everything that you are entitled to receive. This is the deeming provision. Since you aren't eligible for survivor benefits, the age at which you file for your own or spousal benefits will not be a factor.