Sign in to follow this  
Dorie LaRue

Gov offset Pen

Hello. I am at teacher in the LA Teachers Retirement, and my university does not pay social security. I am receiving my deceased husband's SS which of course will completely end when I retire. I am interested in spending the last 60 months paying into social security to circumvent this elimination. My question is can I keep my teaching job, AND work at a job which pays social security and can it be part time? I have applied for a job teaching TT at Sylvan. I am 70 years old. I had planned to retire when I am 75. Thank you. 

Edited by Dorie LaRue

Dorie...the 'last 60 month rule' will allow you to qualify for BOTH a survivors benefit and your teacher's pension. It's very important to do this correctly! The last 60 months must be spent at an employer who contributes to both social security and the LA teacher's pension. Additionally, you cannot mix employment! If you work even one day at an employer who is does not pay into social security you will undo all of your effort. Check this article out for more information. https://socialsecurityintelligence.com/the-government-pension-offset/. Also, check out the SSA piece on the last 60 month rule. https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0202608107  

I have a similar issue...

I am a 61 year old widow receiving both SS survivor benefits (from my ex husband) and TRS (teacher retirement) benefits from my late husband, which surprisingly SS does not consider a retirement income, it is a death benefit.

I worked in the private sector for about 30 years but not enough quarters of "substantial" contributions because of the years I was a single mom. I have 13 years TRS service as a teacher assistant. At 65 that would only be about $431 annuity/retirement and because of the windfall legislation, it would trigger a reduction of my SS by over $300.

If I rollover my TRS contributions into my 403b rather that stay in for the puny retirement, will I still get the SS windfall retirement hit or just the taxes when I take withdrawals from the 403b?