Jump to content
Don Clark

Older Spouse (wife) with not enough credits for SS

Recommended Posts

My wife has worked, but has not generated enough credits to obtain Social Security (SS).  She will turn 65-yrs old this year and must register for Medicare.  We are both on my retirement insurance but it ceases when each of us turn 65.  She has many health issues and they will only get worse with time.  I am 1.5 years younger than her and have worked for many years, but am retired now.  I am planning on claiming SS benefits at 66-yrs, 4-months (Full Retirement Age).  The Medicare expenses for my wife will be daunting for us, until I can get to Full Retirement Age.  What are my wife's options?  

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think you have to file for Medicare in order for her to file. Check out the following language from medicare.com 

"If you’re married and haven’t worked in a paying job:

  • If your spouse is at least 62 years old, and has worked at least 10 years paying Medicare taxes, you can enroll in Medicare when you turn 65, including premium-free Part A.
  • If your spouse is younger than 62 when you turn 65, you won’t qualify for premium-free Part A until your spouse turns 62 (if your spouse has worked and paid Medicare taxes for at least 10 years)." 

Find the full version at https://medicare.com/original-medicare/im-getting-married-need-medicare/  

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now