Good afternoon,

I retired as a peace officer in the state of New Mexico and am receiving a full pension (I worked for 17 years and bought my last three years for a full pension).  While working as a peace officer in New Mexico I did NOT pay into social security.  My pension is presently being taxed by both the federal and state governments. When I called the social security officer I was told I would lose 40% of my social security.   

I plan on working past age 67.  I should have about 30 years of working outside of law enforcement when I retire.  I have two questions.  Is there anyway to avoid the New Mexico penalty for law enforcement officers?  The second question is would you make a video for retired police officers?  Thank you for your time. 

It's likely they are referring to the Windfall Elimination Provision. This rule reduces your SS benefit if you have a pension from work where you did not pay into SS. Before you dive too deeply into this you should know that these rules only affect 4% of the working population and as a result are very poorly understood by most technicians at the SSA. 

You may want to get started by checking out my video series on this topic. It's labeled as "Social Security for Educators" but the rules are the same. Get past the first minute or so for the information you're looking for. After you watch this, post back with any additional questions you have.